- Find a place for TNR. It can take several weeks to get a TNR appointment, so do this as soon as possible. Check the TNR list below and follow the steps based on the cats location.
- Borrow a trap. Check out Trap Rentals or contact me for more suggestions. Trap train while waiting for your appointment, zip tie open the trap so it doesn't trap a cat, and start feeding the cat out of the trap. This will get the cats familiar with the trap.
- Learn to trap. Read over the Trapping page for tips, and follow the steps below:
- Trap the cats. Withold food 12-36 hours before trapping.
Not enough or feeling overwhelmed? Contact me at 408-384-8694 or bayareaTNR@gmail.com.
|Shelter||Cities||How to get TNR appointments?|
|San Jose Animal Care Center
2750 Monterey Hwy
San Jose, CA 95111
|Follow the steps in the SJACC trapping guide. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment to bring in a cat for TNR. Appointments are Tuesday - Friday, drop off 7-7:20am and pick up 4pm.
Kittens and sick or injured cats are accepted at any time. Friendly cats and kittens will go up for adoption or go to rescue.
|Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority
3370 Thomas Rd
Santa Clara, CA 95014
|Call 408-764-0344 prior to arriving at the center, and press 1 for dispatch. Drop-off allowed 8-5pm seven days a week. They only do surgeries on Wednesday and Friday, and will call you to release the cats.
Ferals, young kittens, and sick or injured cats are always accepted without appointment. Friendly cats are only accepted if sick, injured, or pregnant.
|Humane Society Silicon Valley
901 Ames Ave
Milpitas, CA 95035
|Sunnyvale||Follow the steps in the HSSV trapping guide. All cats and kittens go through intake (surrender door), 7 days a week from 9-6pm. Feral cats will be released by volunteers after TNR. Depending on availability, cats may be sent through same day TNR at the medical department.
No appointment is needed for Sunnyvale cats. For questions on the TNR program at HSSV, contact Officer Robinson at animal control: 408-730-7178.
|Santa Clara County Animal Services
12425 Monterey Road
San Martin, CA 95046
Unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County
|TNR surgeries are limited to 10 per day on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Drop off is 8-9am and pick up is the same day 2:30-4pm. Appointments are first come first serve.
Injured or very sick feral or stray cats and kittens may be taken to the shelter between noon and closing time (6 PM on weekdays, 5 PM on weekends).
- Nine Lives Foundation. Spay $50 and neuter $40, includes rabies and FVRCP. Microchip $10. Call 650-368-1365.
- Peninsula Humane Society. Appointment only, call 650-340-7022, ext. 679. They have a street cat package for $50/cat (vaccines, FIV/FeLV tests, spay/neuter, microchip). Not limited to San Mateo county, but those in San Mateo can apply for vouchers here.
- Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV). Appointment only for non-Sunnyvale cats. Email email@example.com or schedule online here (email is faster).
- Try a low cost vet like Animal Medical Center, which offers services for feral cats. Males $55, females $75 (vaccines $25). Max 2 per day.
Both SVACA in Santa Clara and SJACC in San Jose have a trap rental program. For SVACA, call dispatch to inquire about trap rentals. For SJACC, walk into the main lobby to ask. You can also submit this form and select “Trap Rentals” if you want to receive an email with a list of contacts in your area who have traps available. On this list are individuals, as well as organizations such as:
Request helpSubmit a TNR Request
Use this form to submit a TNR request which goes out to local trappers and rescue organizations. Provide as much detail as possible, and get the contact information of the person feeding the cats before submitting the form.
Cat Resource Center